Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rottweiler bites woman at DeKorte

Please Help Locate Dog and Owners

If anyone has any information regarding the following incident or can identify the dog owners in this incident, please contact the Lyndhurst Board of Health 201-804-2500 or the Lyndhurst Police Department 201-939-2900.
Please help me prevent this from happening to someone else, especially a child or senior.
On the afternoon of Saturday, April 25, while walking on one of the trails at DeKorte Park in Lyndhurst, I was attacked and bitten by a leashed, very large, Rottweiler. The dog was being walked by a woman and her two children – a young teenage girl and slightly younger boy. Unprovoked, the dog broke from the owners grasp, lunged at me from behind, and bit me through my pants on my left buttock.
In a state of utter horror, the woman looked at my buttock and told me I was okay. I knew that I immediately needed to get away from this uncontrollable dog, call the police, and most importantly, seek medical attention.
In the few minutes that it took to walk in from the trail and report this to park security and the police, the woman and her children left the park. They most likely exited the park, on foot via Disposal Road into the residential area that surrounds Disposal Road in North Arlington.
As a result of this traumatic attack (the dog did, indeed, break through my clothes and into my skin with his teeth), I now have to go through the Rabies shots series because this dog was not able to be identified. I had to have six puncture wounds cleaned out, a tetanus shot, and take over a weeks worth of very strong antibiotics. In addition, I have an extensive, extremely painful, soft tissue injury as you can imagine a dog of this size would inflict with its powerful jaws. I cringe to think what would have happened had this been a child!
Again, I urge anyone with any information to please contact the aforementioned authorities.
I would just like to thank the Joyce and Alison at the Lyndhurst Board of Health, Lyndhurst Police Officer Charles M. Giangeruso, and DeKorte Park in Lyndhurst, for their help after this unfortunate and distressing incident.
I would also like to thank the North Arlington Board of Health and the N.A.P.D. for listening to my story.

Lisa McClane
Lyndhurst